Saturday, June 8, 2013

GIVE PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, BUT DON'T COMMIT YOURSELF TO THEM

     It is said in the Bible, in fact, it is the last verse of John Chapter 2, that the Lord Jesus Christ, did not commit himself to any man because He knew what was in man.   

     We tend to be to naive and trusting with people that we don't  really, truly know. Sometimes we can get hurt badly because of it.  We don't really know who anybody really is.  Sometimes we don't really know ourselves, unless Almighty God, reveals ourselves to us.  So the message is, we need to put absolute trust in God, and to those people that God puts in our pathways like Godly Pastors, Parents Close Friends, Spouses we trust conditionally.  Other people we need to give the benefit of the doubt.   

    Nearly a year ago, I befriended a young man whose father I knew and loved.  I am trying to help him and his family in several ways.  Because I don't really know who he is really, or where he is coming from, I can only really rely on what he is telling me.  I want to believe that he is truthful, but every once in a while, the criticism comes to me that I am being too naive, and my young friend isn't being genuine. 

   What I will do is to give my friend the benefit of the doubt, and continue to try and help him and his family; but I will keep my eyes open, and keep my mind open to what God shows me about the relationship.  I will be prayerful and watchful, and I will not be foolish and over commit.


No comments: