Friday, January 31, 2014

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!

    This upcoming April 02, it will be 2 years since I broke the bone in the heal of my left foot.  This is a bone that the doctors call the 'Calcaneous'.    I was walking to my job in Downtown Detroit that particular morning.  I was about half way there, when I saw straight ahead of me, one of those annoying Waste Management trucks; the kind that have the garbage dumpster attached.  They pick up the full dumpster, and leave the empty dumpster.  I knew where the truck was headed.  It was going to leave it's dumpster right by the path by which I would be walking.  I could have been patient, and waited for the truck to finish its job.  Or I could have crossed the street and keep walking.  What did I do?  In my haste to get to work, and it comes to me now, a bit of insanity, I decided to step off a curb, after the truck picked up the old dumpster, and has backed up.  What I didn't consider was this curb was part of a loading dock depression.  The step off at that point was nearly 10 inches.  I waited until the truck backed up, and stepped off the curb.  I lost my balance, and fell flat on my face.  As I struggled to get back to my feet, I realized that I could not put any weight at all on my left heel.  I ended up that morning calling an Emergency Medical vehicle and going to the Emergency room of a major Trauma hospital, Detroit Receiving, to get an x-ray of my heel.  That is when I discovered that my heel bone was broken.  I went through a series of casts.  For the first time in my life, I used crutches.  I used a walker.  
    I am now walking without any assistance.  But my ankle is sensitive.  And from time to time I find my self limping.  What happened is when I came down on my foot that morning, the force collapsed my arch nearly 50%.  When I stand that leg is shorter because of the collapsed arch.  That, in turn causes added stress on my left heel when I walk.  The ankle is still quite sensitive at times.  People that I talk to confirm to my that these injuries sometimes take years to heal.  Now, I quite understand what the great English playwright, William Shakespeare said in 'Othello', Act 2, Scene 3:

      "How poor are they that have not Patience.  What wound did ever heal but by degrees?"

    So work to develop patience during your life time.  It will pay big dividends. 

No comments: