Tuesday, February 12, 2013

THE FIRST STEP TO RECOVERY

   In January, 1983, I don't remember the exact date.  However I know that it was on a Sunday, and I believe that it was the day they played the Super Bowl that year.  Yes, there was a time when the Super Bowl was still played in January.  I was on Christmas leave from the Army.  And I was leaving the USA and going to the Federal Republic of Germany for two years, where I would be stationed.  I was flying to JFK in New York, to catch a PanAm  flight over seas.  I remember, suit cases in hand, I was walking them out to my dad's car.  He was going to drive me to the airport. As I was headed out to put the suitcases in the trunk, the thought came to me, "The journey of 1000 miles begins with the very first steps".  Of course, that is not an original saying with me, it was something that I'd heard before, but it was surely appropriate for that particular situation.  
     Oftentimes when we have problems in our live, of whatever sort, they seem insurmountable, like a journey of 1000 miles.  How do we get started on a long journey like that.  The first step on the road to recovery for any type of issue; whether it be substance abuse, anger, health problems, financial debt, etc. is to confront the issue head on and admit that the problem exists.  Don't hide your head in the sand, and be in denial that you have a problem.  You'll not get to first base taking that course of action.  YES, the first step on the road to recovery is to admit and face the fact that you have a problem, and you can't help yourself! 

     And this is especially true when it come to matters of the soul and getting help from God.  The Lord Jesus Christ in the Gospel said, "I am not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance"  He also said, "They that are well need not a physician, but they that are sick"  In other words, we must realize that we are sick, before the physician can or will help us.  Jesus also said, " The Son of Man is come to seek and the save that which was lost.    So, we must realize that we are lost before we can be rescued.  
    
    Once we realize that we are lost, depraved, and on our way to an eternity in the Lake of Fire, and by ourselves we are helpless to do anything about it, we will fight hard to get free, and do what ever it takes to reach to God and the Lord Jesus Christ for help.
 

No comments: