Thursday, May 23, 2013

MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION

      On Saturday September 06, 2008 I moved to 439 Henry Street in Detroit Michigan.  I had just spent 5 months recovering from a pedestrian accident.  I was hit by a car as I was walking to catch a bus to work.  Bones in both legs were severely fractured.  When I came to the point where I could take an apartment and resume my life, I was unable to find an apartment in Mid-town Detroit where Wayne State University is located.  That is where I wanted to be, because that is where my church is located.  An older woman who goes to the same church had been a friend of mine for nearly 35 years.  She managed an apartment building on Henry, and had an apartment available.  This is how I ended up at 439 Henry St.  There are 3 buildings in this particular block of Henry.  They were all owned by an older gentleman.  I never thought that I would be living there.  There are veterans, people on disability, and other extremely poor people.
     This block of apartment building is 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the entertainment district of Downtown Detroit which includes:  Comerica Park where the Detroit Tigers play, and Ford Field where the Detroit Lions play their home games.  Mike Illich of Little Caesar's Pizza fame and owns the Detroit Tigers also owns the Detroit Red Wings Hockey Club. Because he wants to build a new hockey area, he has been buying up property right and left in the vicinity of the 3 Henry Street Apartment buildings.  Speculation has been running rampant.  
    About 4 weeks ago, we were given notice that the 3 Apartment buildings were sold.  We were given a 'Notice to Quit' and that we needed to be somewhere else by May 20, 2013.  Nearly 100 people living in 3 buildings were told they had to move.
   This is why on Wednesday, May 16, 2013, I signed a lease and moved into a 2 Bedroom Apartment in the Woodbridge Neighborhood of Detroit.  This is considerably closer to the Church and Ministry which has been a part of my life for over 40 years.

No comments: