Monday, January 21, 2013

GOAL SETTING - PART 2

     In Saturdays post, I mentioned that it is my practice to make goals in each of the major areas of my life.  To illustrate this, I mentioned that in the Financial area, I would make a personal goal, of balancing my checking account each month; I informed the reader that except for a short amount of time, I have gone my entire life without regularly balancing my check book; even though I learned how to perform this activity when, I opened my first checking account in the 1970's.  This is a very important item, as I struggle, at times, with money management, and having an up-to-date, accurate check book balance, is a solid step in the control of my finances.  I have to start where I am.  That is important in the fulfillment of any goal.  One must determine where they are, and start at that point.  I will list the steps that need to be taken for me to obtain and maintain an accurate checkbook balance.

  • The first step that I need to take in order to make a habit of monthly balancing my checkbook, is to start using a check register on a consistent basis.  Over the years, I have haphazardly written down checks that I have written, and because I haven't done so in a consistent place, and on a consistent basis, I have just wasted my time.  It is absolutely vital, in order to have good control of a checking account, to record all checks written in a register.  The most convenient method is to have a paper register actually inside the checkbook.  Each check must be recorded, writing down the check number, date, payee, description of purpose of payment, per check charge - if any, and the amount of the payment.  There is also a feature in the check register that allows one to keep a running balance, of the account, after each transaction.  Along with the paper checks issued, the different types of transactions connected with the checking account, must be written down and recorded.  For example, today, I used my cell phone to pay two bills; I rented a movie online; and while I was out today, I did several debit card transactions, along using my debit card to obtain cash at an ATM.  All these transactions must be records in the register, and deducted from the account balance.
      The steps to the attainment of this goal will be continued in tomorrow's post 

No comments: