Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MIND OVER MATTER

     A colleague of mine with IRS, once introduced me a quote which which expressed  her philosophy on getting older.  She said, "Age is an issue of mind over matter;  if you don't Mind, it doesn't Matter".  Next Monday, I will be celebrating a special birthday.  I will be turning 60 years old.  Of course, if you are in turn with the latest chatter, 60 is the new 40, etc.  Being a Bible reader, I know that in Genesis 6:3, God shortened the life span when He said, "My Spirit shall not always strive with man for that he also is flesh; yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.  My Pastor believes that God intends for us to live 120 years.  Of course, not to many of us make that, but that is the life span.  So at 60 years old, I am not half way there yet.  Last year at this time, when I turned '59' I mentioned to a manager friend of mine; next year at this time, I will turn 60 years.  The very next day, she gave me a birthday card read, 'Happy 60th Birthday.   Of course that weekend, I thought even thought I won't actually turn 60 until 2013, I an entering my 60th year.
     I am a connoisseur of the Russian language.  I learned Russian which I was in the Army.   They have a very picturesque way of saying that someone was born.  The transliterated Russian says, "On pribyl'  v svet"  or he arrived into the light.  So a birthday is an Anniversary of when God brought us into the light.  It is a celebration of when we came into this world.  So truly, it is only an issue of Mind Over Matter.  Birthdays are celebrations of anniversaries of of when we came into the light of this world.

No comments: